Post stroke care is extremely important and skilled rehabilitation is the key that opens to a successful recovery.
More than 700,000 people suffer a stroke each year in the United States. and approximately 67% survive and require rehabilitation. Post stroke care helps survivors become as independent as possible and to attain the best possible quality of life. Even though rehabilitation does not “cure” the effects of stroke as it does not reverse brain damage, it can help patients achieve the best possible long-term outcome.
Post Stroke Care: What Are Some Stroke Deficits
Stroke can cause five types of disabilities:
- paralysis or problems controlling movement
- sensory disturbances including pain
- difficulties using or understanding language
- problems with thinking and memory
- emotional disturbances
Paralysis is one of the most common disabilities resulting from stroke. The paralysis is usually on the side of the body opposite the side of the brain damaged by stroke, and may affect the face, an arm, a leg, or the entire side of the body. This one-sided paralysis is called hemiplegia.
Damage to a lower part of the brain, the cerebellum, can affect the body’s ability to coordinate movement, a disability called ataxia. This causes problems with body posture, walking, and balance.
Post Stroke Care: Sensory Disturbances
Stroke patients may lose the ability to feel touch, pain, temperature, or position. Sensory deficits also can hinder the ability to recognize objects and can even be severe enough to cause loss of recognition of one’s own limb. Some stroke patients experience pain, numbness, or tingling in paralyzed limbs, a symptom known as paresthesias.
Post Stroke Care: Language Problems
At least 25% of all stroke survivors experience language impairments. The ability to speak, write, and understand spoken and written language is impaired. Damage to any of the brain’s language-control centers severely impairs verbal communication. The dominant centers for language are in the left side of the brain for right-handed individuals.
Post Stroke Care: Memory And Thinking Deficits
Stroke can cause damage to parts of the brain responsible for memory, learning, and awareness. Stroke survivors may have dramatically shortened attention spans or may experience deficits in short-term memory. Individuals also lose their ability to make plans, comprehend meaning, or learn new tasks.
Post Stroke Care: Emotional Disturbances
Many people who survive a stroke feel fear, anxiety, frustration, anger, sadness, and a sense of grief for their physical and mental losses. Signs of clinical depression include sleep disturbances, a radical change in eating patterns that may lead to sudden weight loss or gain, lethargy, social withdrawal, irritability, fatigue, self-loathing, and suicidal thoughts.
Post Stroke Care: Skilled Nursing Key To Successful Rehab
The skilled nurses of the Atlantic Coast Rehabilitation Center In Lakewood, New Jersey, specialize in successfully rehabbing stroke patients.
- Hip or knee replacement
- Post-surgery recovery
- Complex wound care
- Motor vehicle trauma
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Diabetes monitoring and care
- Pain management
- IV Therapy
- Tracheotomy care
- PHYSICIAN PROTOCOL – SMART Rehab creates each patient’s individualized care plan based on their personal physician’s protocol, assuring the best clinical outcomes
- CARE COORDINATION – At SMART Rehab we partner with your physician, maintaining regular contact and forwarding progress reports.
- GOAL-ORIENTED THERAPY – Our team of experienced and professional therapists is goal oriented, using aggressive therapy regimens that promote rapid healing.
- STATE-OF-THE-ART-EQUIPMENT – Atlantic Coast’s SMART Rehab Therapy Gym is equipped with the latest and best in innovative therapeutic equipment.
- SEVEN-DAY-A-WEEK THERAPY – Our therapists provide therapy regimens seven days a week. Your injury doesn’t take a break on weekends; why should your therapy program?
Post Stroke Care: Call us at Atlantic Coast Rehabilitation Center
Call us to arrange a visit and see for yourself how Atlantic Coast Rehabilitation and Health Center provides post surgical care the SMART, Skilled, and Compassionate way.